Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Guernsey - Day 3 - Trip to Sark

Forty years ago we were talking about visiting Sark!  Too long to wait, but at last we made it there.

Woke up at 5 a.m. for breakfast, and leaving the apartment when it was still dark to catch the first bus into St Peters Port - not to the terminus this time, but to the next stop Northern Explanade.  From there we walked across the road and straight down to the ticket office to buy our ticket for the 8 a.m. Ferry.  We saved £5.00 each by catching the early ferry with only four other passengers.

Now to wait for the Ferry to dock.


A few minutes before the ferry departed we were asked to board.  At the strike of 8 a.m. we were on our way.  We decided to sit at the back of the ferry, a slight twang of exhaust fumes, but a lot better to see.  It was worth it.

We are leaving the Port slowly, speed limited 6 knots per hour within the Port.

Starting to speed up now we have left the Port behind us and heading for the open sea.

Here we see the Trident Ferry coming in to St Peters Port.

We pass some sort of fort jutting out of the sea. 

We are now passing by part of the Herm Island.

I think this is Sark in the distance.

A lot closer now, just coming around the island to the jetty.

The Lighthouse on Sark.  Unfortunately it wasn't open to the public.  Mind you it is a steep climb down the steps to get to it, if it were open I doubt if I had made the descent.

Very steep rocky cliffs.  I don't think I ever imagined this would be Sark.

At last we arrive.  The tide is in, so few steps to climb from the boat.  Very helpful crew, no matter how old you were, they were there to assist you for embarking.

The tunnel through to the Harbour Cafe and tractors with trailers to transport you up to the top of cliff.  I pondered whether to walk, but since it turned out to be a steep climb, I am glad we didn't.


When we reached almost to the top and got off the trailer we were confronted by a row of horse and carts asking us would be like a trip round Sark.  Seemed like a good idea, but we decided to have a quick look round first before making a decision.

There are no cars on Sark, only bicycles and tractors.  It did seem odd to see a tradesman on a tractor pass you by with his tools in the back. 

Even the doctor visits in a tractor with the sign "Doctor" on the cab window, or sometimes by horse and cart.


Nat West Bank in the second photo to the left and coffee shop to the right. We were thirsty so we popped into this one for a quick cuppa tea.

After a cuppa tea, we did book our place on the horse and cart.  We were on one of Danny's carts with his horse Jake. We left at 11 a.m. for a tour which took 2 hours.

The first stop was the Halfway Cafe and Gardens.  We had half an hour here, not enough time for us to visit the gardens, but time for a much needed break.  It was hot and we needed refreshing.  Unfortunately for us, we were last in the queue, and it was too late for us to purchase a cup of tea. 

Back on the cart and onward to our next destination.  Down a hill and up a hill towards Little Sark.  We were very high up with the sea on either side, and I was getting worried about crossing the bridge on the cart.  As we approached the bridge, which was slightly up hill, I asked if I could get off and walk.  As it was the horse and carts do not cross beyond this point.  We had 15 mins to walk across and take some photos.

My husband braved the bridge, me?  Well I didn't - my excuse was that I found a post that needed to be held up, and I waited till he returned.  I managed to take some photos though.



Thats the post I held up - on the left bottom corner.  If I didn't then I was giddy from the height!

Fantastic views.




Time to set off again.


The only remaining windmill on the island.  Not working.

For lunch we had a jacket potato and a pot of tea in the garden of this little cafe. 

Nearby is the little prison cell which dates back over 200 years..



We passed the Post Office - lots of nice gifts to buy but we did not have enough room in our suitcase to bring anything home.  A gold painted letter box outside.

We had just about exhausted every bit of the island and still three hours before the ferry leaves.  We decided then to take the path down to the ferry.  What fantastic views.




A very steep descent with a very good path and seats had been placed along the path in memory of families gone by.  It took us about 20 mins to descend, only to find the Harbour Cafe closed and we were, so I thought at first, the only two people on the harbour front.  We did see a lone worker up on the cliffs.


The sun was burning hot. 

The tunnel we need to go through to reach the ferry when it arrives.

We wandered around to use up the time and eventually when other people started to meet, we went on through the tunnel to sit on the jetty. 



Taken from the jetty just before we left. 

Now its time to board the ferry.  The tide is out!  Look how far we have to descend down the steps.  A long way.  This was the last ferry so lots of us for the return trip.  Almost a boat load.


Here we are leaving the harbour - back to St Peters Port.

Leaving Sark well behind.  It is now gone 5.30 p.m.  From St Peters Port we caught the No. 11 bus back to the apartment.  Tired but what a fantastic day!














1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos... I'm really enjoying your holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete