Sunday, 29 September 2013

7 days holiday.....in Guernsey.

Apart from about three or four weekends where we stayed in a cottage and I went off and did my own thing and he stayed back to walk across the fields or watched TV, we never been on holiday together. 

So a few weeks ago he said "how about we make that trip to Guernsey.....and Sark.....and Herm - places we wanted to go when we married in the 1970s and never did.

Now I hate holidays where you pack your bags, arrive at your destination and awake the next morning and say "what shall we do today".  I have to have each day planned, what time to get up through to the end of the day and what fares and food we eat.  Big job...

But first to choose the airline - back forth, back forth between the three airlines, I then decide on Fly be, the cheapest fare, which means your bag has to be such and such size to fit in the cabin.  I had purchased two that said "Cabin Friendly" but when i measured them, I was a cm too much - or was I?  The bump on top did that measure 2 cms high, will it fit in their sizer???  

So it went on for over an hour - when I decided I must purchase the bigger size and pay more for fare - or shall I take the chance. 

Thats it I am taking the chance!  We are packing for a seven day holiday - I even bought a set of scales so I got the measurements right.  On this ticket we are allowed 10 Kgs.  I need not worry, my one was 6.5 and hubby's was 7.5 Kg. 

There are washers and dryers where we are going and since the weather forecast was good, I was able to dry the washing on the clothes line during the day. I don't like TV so watching the washing move round was more entertaining for me!

The flight leaves on Saturday, 11 am.  We need to catch a train first, but "Oh no" not direct routes to the Airport on that day - rail works all day!  The man in the ticket office suggested we leave at 5 a.m. train - but that was a bit too early, so I decided to see if I can book up a Guest House for Friday night.  Nope......all the close ones are all booked up because of a Boat event!!

As luck would have it I found one, just 1.5 miles walk from the train station - or was it?  Blisters later we arrived with a warm welcome and shown to our room.  Not bad, the breakfast was good, but what are we eating for tea - no decent shops or restaurants in the area, so we put up with a yoghut and a piece of fruit a couple of dry pieces of bread, washed down with a cup of tea.

Day 1- Up at 7 a.m. for an early breakfast - full English Breakfast and very nice too and then the long walk back to the  Central Station. A short 7 min  train ride takes us to the Airport.  Oh yes we had to wait but it was worth it to familiarise yourself to an airport.  I was worried that the bags were too big but of course they weren't.

Off we go - hold tight - this is my worst bit - taking off - "Oh for goodness sake be quiet I am concentrating" - 20 mins later we are descending.  My ears are popping big time.  With a big bump and the brakes full on I am gradually sliding off the seat.  "We are here!".

"Taxi"?  My husband asks, I say "No" the bus from the Airport goes right across the top of the lane, we can catch that instead.  I had done my research, I wasn't paying any more than I had to. And it was only 3 mins walk from the main road.

Here we are:

The ground floor apartment was lovely - overlooking the pool - hot sun every day and guess what I forgot to bring my swimsuit!!!

And look what was on the work top, a Guernsey Gache.  So delicious we bought another during the week from the local shop (Iceland).

Always a castrophe isn't there.  When we did a bit of food shopping, I bought one of those salt grinders, and the lid wasn't tightened properly even though it was clingwrapped.  And my first cooked meal was ruined, smothered in salt granules on hubby's plate.

I couldn't think of anything else other than swap plates - and threw "mine" out and said I wasn't hungry!  I would just have a small piece of Gache with Guernsey Butter instead.

An early night and our holiday begins.......




No comments:

Post a Comment