Thursday, 9 February 2012

More books on my book shelves......

I managed to paint two treads of the stairs before I had to go out.  I chose Dulux Country Beige for the risers and Dulux Samba for the treads.....both were old tins of paint left over from a kitchen makeover about 15 years ago.  Apart from a thick skin on top of the paint, it was fine after a good stir.  So far I like my handiwork, but then that is not everybody taste - may not even be mine when it is finished.  But I have to say it is an improvement on bare wood.

Painted just two treads you may ask?  Well I was off to collect three big boxes of books from a Freecycler.  This is always an exciting couple hours for me when I bring the books into the hall and sit on the floor and read some and sort into piles - that pile goes to my favourite Charity - a Hospice for Children who are terminally ill, that pile to another Freecycler and that pile for me.  My husband always says that I am always quiet for those couple hours.   I acquired ten.....no - eleven - I found another one as I was packing the remaining books into a box to put on my doorstep for collection.

I also did a telephone survey this morning. Two questions I remember put a smile on my face.

 "Do you work"? she said.    "Yes".  I said.  "What is your occupation?" she said.  Well I had only been thinking about that last night what to call myself, never gave it a thought til now.  I do a mixture of things, so there is not an exact title to what I do.  So I said "I don't know".  "Oh - so you are retired"!! she said.  "No!" I said......I am not really sure what she put down for that. 

Next question - "What do you think of the high funeral costs?" she said.  "Pardon"? I said.  I thought I heard her, but was not sure.  She asked me again - "Do I have any worries about funeral costs?" she said.

"Oh no" I said.  "I have instructed my family to dig a big hole in the back garden and just drop me into it"!

She wasn't amused.......

I cannot believe that this afternoon, I was exhausted - well I was sorting books, maybe that was it!  But I did not give in - I went onto the computer and e.mailed some of my dear friends....then I got out the vacuum cleaner and gave the house a good clean, did some washing, hung the clothes on the line and cooked the evening meal. 

And that was the highlights of my day......and I have already planned what to do tomorrow......



No comments:

Post a Comment